Saturday, June 14, 2008

Friendship Bread Take 2




Hayden's first round of friendship bread went something like this:

Hayden spent 10 days cultivating his bread starter each day adding another special ingredient.

At the end of ten days uses 1 cup of special starter and multiple other ingredients to make the bread.

uses 1 1/4 cups of baking powder instead of 1 1/4 tsp. (you can see where this is going).

Puts bread in the oven. Within 10 min. bread is overflowing out of pans.

Hayden pulls pans out of oven and immediately turns oven on to self clean. (I am gone at this time)

Luckily I come home shortly thereafter and smoke is billowing out of the oven.

I instantly start yelling and questioning Hayden and tell him he can"t cook without me anymore. He typically leaves a huge mess for me to clean up when he is cooking.

We get the self clean turned off and I can tell Hayden is very upset.

I instantly feel very guilty. What kind of mother am I. I shouldn't have yelled and I should have been helping him make the bread. We hug and both cry and spend the next two days cleaning out the oven.

You can see our first attempt wasn't so hot. Take 2 went much better. We went over measurements of each ingredient. Had a lesson on how to be a clean cook, putting things away after we used them. It was actually fun and the bread looks yummy.

Hayden wants to be a chef. He has a long road ahead of him!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

LOL. Hayden and stewart are alot alike. They both love to cook but not clean up. I'm glad his second attempt turned out. The things we do for our kids, right? Tell Hayden I need a starter. I love friendship bread!

Lisa said...

hi april, it's lisa...heidi's friend! anyways, it's good to see you on here! i love friendship bread, by the way :)